The ‘Individual Investor Programme’ (IIP) in Malta
The Maltese Government has recently launched the Individual Investor Programme (IIP) to enable foreign individuals and families citizenship (via a certificate of naturalization), provided they contribute to the economic development of Malta. The Maltese citizenship by investment programme is available to non-EU citizens who are not currently benefitting from any other forms of Maltese residency or taxation schemes. Once granted the applicant would be given a Maltese passport, which in turn gives the freedom to travel within the European Union, as well as full voting rights in Malta and the EU.
Here are the qualifying criteria to apply for the Malta Individual Investor Programme:
• The individual must be at least 18 years of age
• Have a permanent residential address in Malta for at least 5 years (to the value of at least €16,000 a year in rentals or at least €350,000 if purchasing)
• Invest at least €150,000 in Government issued bonds or shares
• Main applicant – €650,000 (including a €10,000 Non-Refundable Payment as a deposit prior to the submission of the application)
• Spouse – €25,000
• Children below 18 years of age: €25,000 each
• Unmarried children between 18 -26 years of age: €50,000 each
• Dependent parent over the age of 55: €50,000 each
All fees are to be paid to the Government Fund for National Economic & Social Development and will be used for educational research, social projects and migration.
Residence will only be granted if the main applicant provides proof that he or she has been a resident of Malta for at least 12 months before the day the certificate of naturalization is issued.
Disqualifying factors – A sworn application will have to be submitted confirming that the individual does not have any criminal convictions (past and present).
Due diligence on each application will be very thorough and split into 4 stages. This process will take a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 2 years. Upon completion, the applicant will be recommended for naturalization.
There are non-refundable fees for the due diligence which are as follows:
• Main applicant €7,500
• Spouse €5,000
• Children under the age of 18: €3,000 each
• Unmarried Children between 18 – 26: €5,000 each
• Dependent parent over 55: €5,000 each
Other useful information:
An applicant may file his/her application through an ‘Approved Agent’ (authorised by the Identity Malta), who will be responsible for the submission of the application and for carrying out all relevant background checks.
If you require any further information about the ‘Individual Investor Programme’ then contact us on:
Call +356 2131 0800 /0088 or email: email@example.com